Tuesday 11 December 2018

Reviewing the Year

At the beginning of this year my goal was to increase the vocabulary of my 5 year-olds
so that they could have a conversation or ask a question correctly.
Throughout the year there has been a lot of role modelling, game playing, and sharing.  
While some of my students still struggle to form complete sentences that incorporated the definite article 'the' (and yes - I had to google that, cos I wasn't quite sure! 😀)
– “Can I go to the toilet, Miss Hockly?” the majority of the class are now asking correctly.


It is worth noting the impact ‘playing’ has.  As the children played together they chatted.
They asked questions.  They argued. Some, of course, were more able than others,
but I have seen growth in each one’s language.  Play needs to be encouraged and
planned for.

So, looking forward to 2019 I expect to use the EEs I created so children can ask
questions, discover differences (and similarities), and no doubt I will create more
EEs for iPad use. This year I didn't focus on a group of students (instead preferring
to monitor them all), but next year I will choose 3 or 4 students and gather some
data early (I may use the New Entrant/SEA test or create something similar for myself.
I'll work it out over the holidays), and make regular updates for each child.

Whatever and however I start 2019, I'm looking forward to being more prepared than
I was this year.

Thanks for reading. Any ideas/suggestions would be gratefully received.
Enjoy your Christmas

Trish

No comments:

Post a Comment