Friday 19 May 2017

Digital Immersion  3  19.5.17(I didn't attend number 2)

Whew!!  What a log of new learning we (well, I) had today.

It began with a look a reminder that creativity is one of the six 'C's of education in the 21st Century

Character
Citizenship
Collaboration
Communication
Creativity
Critical Thinking  

It is through creativity that students will gain purpose for their learning. I have been challenged to make sure I plan for creativity, and not simply have children 'working'. Sounds like they might have more fun!! 😃



Mail. It's something I go into umpteen times a day, and yet I'd never every realised that there was so much I was missing. Today I got to change the look of my gmail page, make labels, and...oh - instead of writing it all out - here's what was covered -



Mail in your Browser
  • Undo Send and the settings menu
  • Hide/Mute/Delete and the outcomes
  • Searching and organising
  • From: To: Sent:
  • Labels and filters
  • Configure inbox view (settings/inbox)
  • Labs- reading pane options
  • Labs- Mail notification
  • Chat
Mail App
  • Layout and differences
  • Moving between inboxes in one app
  • Searching, sending and attaching.
  • Starring- why?
  • Hamburgers or Sausages

Calendars
  • Simple event creation
  • Inviting others
  • Link creation
  • Adding notes
  • Send to calendar App
  • Changing the view
  • Repeating events
  • Connecting to apple mail
  • Sharing and accessing the calendars’ of colleagues
Calendar App
  • Views
  • Alerts
  • Accessing others’ calendars

After this, we were introduced to Google Keep - another great app.  There are a lot of nifty uses for this amazing app, and I can see that I'm going to have to spend some quality time looking back at what we did today to ensure that I use the new learning I'm getting.


It was a challenging (for me) day, but I love being exposed to new things.  This 'Learn' part of our pedagogy is great, and will do my best to see the 'Create, Share' aspects become a visible part of my own teaching (and learning) practise. Thanks Dorothy and James for sharing your expertise, and for patiently helping the more digitally-challenged of us!  Roll on Week 4!

3 comments:

  1. Trish you are amazing. Your positive approach to new learning and problem solving is a delight. Thanks so much for your contributions to this professional learning group

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! What a detailed post, your notes are fab. It was good to connect via hangout today and I really appreciate you taking the time out of your day to do so. I hope some of the tools modelled lead to a more streamlined workload for you.

    Thanks for sharing your reflection and learning.

    James

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Trish,
    I can really relate to your experiences at Digital Immersion. I agree Google Keep is a really useful tool. I would love to see more about how you will incorporate more opportunities to 'create' in your classroom.

    ReplyDelete